Close

Thread: High Sticking

1. Default High Sticking

Question about high sticking... Is there a rule of thumb about the maximum acceptable angle between the fish & the rod handle while the reel is at normal drag pressure (~1/4 to 1/3 of max line rating for blank)? 90 degrees? 110 degrees? 45 degrees?

[I guess you have to high stick a fish to some degree at boatside, but you can adjust the drag waaaay down just in case the fish takes an unexpected last minute run, or just leader the fish & finish the job hand over hand.]

all rods have a different break strength and can handle different abuse....my general rule of thumb is to ALWAYS fight the fish low and to the side....
    Adam Hansen
    Sales Consultant
    Batson Enterprises, Inc.
    Adam@batsonenterprises.com
    Phone: 877-875-2381
    Fax: 360-683-3579

Another way to handle a fish at boatside is to lower the drag, grab the rod up from the grip until you can reach the line, and if the fish runs, allow the rod to pivot in your hand and the rod to point towards the fish and the drag to work if necessary. I try to not exceed 90 degrees. I think all rods can handle that OK. High sticking is actually not any more effective in controlling the fish than 90 degrees, in my opinion, and just gives added risk with no reward.

Hi sticking is what your buddy does with YOUR rod never his.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetco View Post
    Hi sticking is what your buddy does with YOUR rod never his.
    i have never had a buddy high stick one of my rods...because i dont let them use them....they just knock them over and step on the tips for me...
    Adam Hansen
    Sales Consultant
    Batson Enterprises, Inc.
    Adam@batsonenterprises.com
    Phone: 877-875-2381
    Fax: 360-683-3579

That's funny!!