Close

Default New to rod building; need some advice, badly

This will be my first rod build. Data from label. I have a Rainshadow RX6 15-30 lbs. RCJB106M. Measures 8'10".

I want to build a bait-caster and use a Penn 114H reel that I already have. I am hoping this rod can handle up to 4 ounces?

I am having trouble finding the specs for this rod. Specifically, the number of eyes and the placement distances. How do determine the size of the eyes?

I have heard that some rods have a "spine" that needs to be located to give the best performance. Any truth to this?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. Please consider anything you think of as something that I do not know.

Pirate69

I'll work on getting you a recipe for this blank. Give me a couple days.

Static testing will help you determine guide size, spacing, and amount. This is where you place the blank under load, flexing different portions of the blank and moving guides so that you don't get any line touching the blank. The smaller the guides, the more you'll need.

A Penn 114H isn't a good match for this blank. What is it that you want to fish and build a rod for?

Regards,
    Eric

Eric, thanks for your reply. I may be in the classic Ready--Shoot- Aim scenario. I have been considering building a rod and came across this blank on a 50% sale. Hard to pass up. I knew I wanted a 8'-9' rod and this looked reasonable to me.

As to it's intended use. I fishing the Outer Banks of NC. I am targeting this rod for the big Blues (=10 lbs) and the Puppy Drum (normally 10-20 lbs). Drum can get much bigger but it is a problem that I would love to have. There is normally a lot of drift and the sand bars form about 75 yards off shore. I need to be able to cast 3-4 ounces of lead (to hold bottom) and a chunk of cut bait or 4 oz metal lures. And I need to be able to get across the sand bars. Thinking 15 lb test line.

I researched and found out how to find the rod spine. The rod has a single, very pronounced spine. I found it by placing the rod tip on a header and pushing the rod to form a rod curve away from me and allowing it to rotate on a smooth surface. Marked the position on the inner side of the curve. I understand this is the spline reel set position for a SPINNING REEL. The opposite side would be proper for a CASTING REEL. Am I correct? I reverse the test procedure. Placed rod tip under the header and pulled up on it (profile with fish online). Spine determined to be 180 degrees from earlier determination. Feel good about spine location determination. Just need to make sure I mount the bait casting reel set on the correct side.

Researched the stress test that you referenced. Think I understand it and will try it during the build. I got a response back from Batson Enterprises on my request for data on the rod. They indicated that they no longer sell this rod but the specs for Rainshadow Saltwater RCJB106ML were appropriate for this rod. Data indicates a total of 10 guides (plus tip) ranging from 4" to 56.25". 7-#10, 1-#12, 1-#16, and 1-#20. Lot of tips. Will be interesting to see what data you develop.

Rod grips. Cork or EVA? I was informed about a material that is basically a "shrink wrap" and appears to be easy to wok with. Not sure about how well it grips with wet hands. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You indicated that the Penn 114H reel may not be appropriate for this rod. I would appreciate your suggestions on reasonable priced bait casting reels. Don't have to use the Penn 114H.

Thanks in advance, to you and any others, for any suggestions/input.

Wayne

Yes you are correct...spinning to the inside and conventional to the outside.

As you contacted Batson directly, you have what I have.

I personally like hypalon for my saltwater rods or Battlelon EPDM.

There are a lot of reasonable reels out there. My favorite are Avets. The point I was making about the Penn 114 is that you should match the reel to your rod.

The other thing you need to think about is the reel seat...I recommend an Alps Centra Lock...and also the guides...SS is good, Ti is better. Ti has better corrosion resistance, light weight, but it comes with a cost. Stainless guides are good for salt if you take care of them and rinse after trips...they are also much cheaper.

Assuming that you are brand new, you'll also want the tools of the trade. Scissors, thread, rod bond for gluing the reel seat and handles, packer, wrapper, dryer, epoxy, brushes, color preserver.

Check out my store, Rougarou Rods, for some ideas and feel free to contact me if you would like me to put a package deal together for you.

Regards,
    Eric

thanks Eric. Will shop your store first.