Close

Default The Problem of Blanks "Jumping" out of your Rod Lathe: A cure

The roller stands for my Alps Wrapper have the spring loaded upper arm. The one that allows a rod to jump out when you leave the wrapper to itself when drying finish. Pretty annoying!

Original stand on the left, modified stand on the right. Note the “carriage bolt” securing the swing arm on the modified stand instead of the screw on the original.

Below is my simple modification to prevent this. This will work on other wrappers similar to the Alps.

You will need a supply of small carriage bolts, these are No. 10. You handy guys know what a carriage bolt is: A smooth rounded head with a short length of square shank just below the head, to grip the material the bolt protrudes through. Invented by wagon and carriage makers a long time ago, hence the name “carriage bolt”. Small No. 10 bolts are hard to find: But an endless source is the dog crate manufacturers. They are used to assemble dog crates and have a nice black plastic wing nut that looks as if it was made to fit the Alps Wrapper stands. I have a good stash from using crates for animal shipping, the new crates have extras included and I toss them in a container for future use. You may use standard 3/16" screws with wing nuts.

They look like this:

The one on the right has the square turned down to round, reason for this explained later.

(Page break due to the number of photos allowed)

Continued:

First step, drill out the swing arm hole using a 3/16” drill.

Deburr both sides of the hole. I am using a 82 degree countersink, anything similar will work.

Drill out the hole in the stand with a 3/16” drill.

Back to those two carriage bolts: I have a metal lathe and turn down the square portion of the shank so it is a snug fit in the swing arm.

(Page Break)

Continued:

I take the turned down carriage bolt and the drilled out swing arm and assemble with a dab of Loc Tite on the turned down portion of the shank, push the bolt into the swing arm and let it cure.

Below is the final product. The wing nut looks like it came from the factory. And we still have the spring to hold the swing arm out of the way when loading the rod blank.

Raise the arms, load the blank, flip the swing arms down, tighten the wing nut snugly.

I wrap a few layers of masking tape around the butt of the rod, this gives a “cushion” to absorb misalignment in the chuck. Combined with the modified rod stands, your blank will no longer jump out of the Alps wrapper.

Modified stand on the right.

A link for the dog crate carriage bolts:

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/...iABEgKScfD_BwE

Continued:

The Alps wrapper with a rod in progress. A heavy 8 foot blank for jigging in the Straits of Juan de Fuca for Halibut. Using 12 and 16 oz jigs.

A Rainshadow blank of course!

Most Excellent writeup John. Thanks very much for your experienced viewpoint on how to solve this issue.

Sure, thanks. There are a lot of ALPS and Pac Bay rod lathes out there, I posted this as I felt it would help out the guys that have had problems.

Nothing more frustrating than to check a rod that has been rotating in the lathe for 6 hours only to find it on the floor!!!