Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Building my first rod

I'm going to be building my first rod here in the next couple weeks. My first rainshadow rod as well. I'm going with the xst1563-4. Hoping to build it for double duty, centerpin/spinning float rod.
    I'm trying to decide if its worth the added cost for titanium guides. I plan on putting a weighted butt on it so I'm thinking that might offset the weight enough to not need them.
    Any opinions would be welcome.
    Thanks

Are you planning on ever fishing the salt with it?

3. Default

Not likely. I rarely fish the salt. Going to be a river float rod.

If you are looking to keep the price down, I'd probably just stick with Y and F guides which are stainless. Otherwise, buy Ti and get weight savings and a more durable guide.

My feelings on rods that I build for myself...I build with the best components and rarely compromise.

5. Default

For sure. Whats $40 when your already spending the money right. The one thing I can't decide on is the reel seat and grips. Was thinking Fuji vss threading up. That way there's cork right behind the reel. But I do fish it below the reel half the time. But that may be the fact that the rod its on now the grips and seat aren't setup for centerpin. So its awkward to hold. On the other hand I've seen a lot of fly reel seats with a recessed hood in the fore grip that I really like the look of. Then I can just run a thicker foregrip for comfort.

Definitely one of the benefits of rod building...you can build with whatever you want and aren't stuck with what the factory puts on.

Be sure to keep us updated on the build. Would love to see how it turns out.

Regards,
    Eric

7. Default

Taking my reel to the shop where I'm building it today. Gonna get the seat guides and grips ordered. And hopefully start mg build next week. Think I'm gonna go with the RA801L2 seat. Forecast full wells fly grip for the fore grip and forecast 12" rear grip with the rear tenon cut off the fit the weighted butt. Should put the real about 14.5" from the butt.

Kewl beans...did you decide on what guides?

9. Default

Did not yet. Going back today to do so and get they layout dialed. Ended up getting the grips and seat installed as he had them in stock. Went with the Pac bay channel lock fly seat size 8 and the same grips I mentioned before. How do you post pictures here?

Click on the insert image icon....3rd icon from the end when you do a quick reply.