Close

Default Shortening Travel Blanks

I am new to rob building, and I have read some post about rod blank shortening, but never for travel rods.

What I am trying to do is get a 7'0" 3-piece rod down to at least 6'6" or even as far as 6'2".

I regularly fish in the Amazon, and the shorter rods are preferred for numerous reasons.

My hope is to simply cut the butt section shorter with the hope the diameter doesn't restrict grip and handle hardware and not impact rod strength.

Thank you.

2. Default Amazon travel rod

Quote Originally Posted by uofmandiu View Post
    I am new to rob building, and I have read some post about rod blank shortening, but never for travel rods.

What I am trying to do is get a 7'0" 3-piece rod down to at least 6'6" or even as far as 6'2".

I regularly fish in the Amazon, and the shorter rods are preferred for numerous reasons.

My hope is to simply cut the butt section shorter with the hope the diameter doesn't restrict grip and handle hardware and not impact rod strength.

Thank you.
    Rainshadow makes a 6 ft. 2 in. peacock bass travel rod and has for many years, no need to cut one. It was designed for using the bigger baits without blowing out your arms and shoulders. Let me know if you want a source.