Close

1. Default I would like Batson's thoughts on Zirconium vs SiC guides

I have been reading a lot of mixed reviews on the internet about the difference in ring materials. Some have said SiC is the way to go when building jigging rods because of the heat dissipation. I notice in the Alps line of guides there is only one guide that has carbide in it. I'm just curious as too what Batson's thoughts are on SiC guides vs the Zirconium

Any other builders are welcome to post there thoughts as well.

Thanks in advance!

I'll take a little bite here. SIC is a bit "harder" than Zirconium in ring materials. Might also be a bit slicker as well. That said, I'm not sure that "harder" means that the heat dissipation will be any greater with SIC then the Zirc. I suppose that the "slickest" material would run cooler. If I read you correctly, the concern is in the friction caused by the jigging technique. It seems to me that the bigger concern regarding heat build up from friction wouldn't be from the technique, but rather from the run of the fish. Pulling line through the guides at the rate and force of some fish will be far, far greater than that applied by simply jigging. And remember that the line coming in during the jigging motion is wet, providing at least some cooling effect ( I think). To me, the use of either material in a guide selection is almost entirely dependent on cost. If a customer wants em', they can have em'. It's interesting that this question is always asked about the high end materials and rarely considered when discussing the Aluminum Oxide ring material, which, in one formulation or another, is used on nearly every type of guide, on nearly every type of rod, for nearly every type of fishing, by nearly every manufacturer of production rods.

3. Default

the concern is the heat build up when fighting a big tuna, with like you said, long explosive fast runs. I have been looking online and getting a lot of mixed reviews. i am building one of the RCKJB508-500 and want to make sure i don't short change myself on the guides. The rod is being built for a friend that will fish for giant tuna and big Amberjacks as well. All the other rods i have built i use the Hard Aluminum Oxide guides because I have never had a problem with them and the price is right. I am curious to see what Batson's thoughts are on the different type of materials.

4. Default

Try sawing 8-10 lb test thru an aluminum oxide guide with a bit of tension on it, in less than 15 passes you'll have a broken, melted line or a flat ribbon. Do that with SiC and you'll get bored sawing it back and forth, don't touch the SiC ring though, it will feel like it's going to brand you.
    That said a wet line does make a difference in temperture transfer, but it also makes a difference in other ways also like reduced mono test strength over a dry line.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 03-09-2012 at 08:11 AM.